A good cleanser is the most important step to achieve healthy glowing skin!
Some people really don’t pay that much attention to what they use to wash their skin because they are more focused on using a good moisturizer, eye cream or acne treatment.
While those are all important, if you don’t start with a clean face, the other products you are using are not fully working.
I have been using this homemade face wash for months and love it! NO chemicals!
The 3 ingredients are so nourishing and leave my skin feeling soft. It can be made for sensitive, mature, acne prone, or oily skin.
Adapt for your skin type
By simply changing the kind of oil used, the face wash can be adapted for your skin type.
I have had great results with this combo and I hope you can benefit from this skin smoothing face wash too!…and the best part is it contains just 3 simple ingredients that are SO nourishing for your skin!
The beauty of a DIY face wash is that you can swap out ingredients depending on specific skin conditions for a completely customized face wash.
I am on a mission to to make our home as non-toxic as possible. I started with our cleaning products a few years ago, and am now making my way through products we use on our body.
My motto: Keep ingredients simple (pronounceable), and keep it healthy.
One of my favorite body products I have made is face wash!
It is SIMPLE to make!
I wanted to find something that would clean the make up off my face and would also clarify and tone my skin, as well as fight any blemishes and bacteria leaving soft healthy skin.
** This blog post is about how to make your own high quality cleanser with natural products but, if that isn’t your idea of a fun time, I have included at the bottom of the post a list of safe natural cleansers that you may wish to purchase instead.
Just 3 Simple Ingredients
What goes on your skin is absorbed into your blood stream.
The concept of nicotine patches is they are put on the skin so they can be quickly absorbed into the body. The concept is the same for whatever you put on your skin.
It is absorbed through the skin and into the blood stream. Look at the ingredients list on the back of your face wash and decide if you want those chemicals in your body.
This recipe has only 3 simple ingredients that are nourishing to your skin and healthy for your body!
- Avocado Oil (Jojoba Oil, Virgin Olive Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Argan Oil or Grapeseed Oil are also good.)
- Raw Honey
- Castile Soap
What the face wash has done for my skin
Using three simple ingredients in this homemade face wash- avocado oil, honey and castile soap has made my skin smooth and has cleared up the redness and bumps caused by rosacea!
After trial and error, I found this combination to be a great face wash for my skin and also helped clear up the occasional blemish.
No harsh chemicals or irritants in the ingredients! The 3 ingredients are so nourishing and hydrating, your skin will say thank you!
The honey is not sticky at all in the face wash. The oil, honey, and Castile soap mix together for a luxurious feeling wash.
You will be able to make multiple batches of face wash after buying the ingredients, so this face wash is also cost effective!
Customize your face wash for your skin
By changing one ingredient-OIL- you can customize your homemade face wash for your skin type.
For Acne Prone and Oily Skin:
By changing just one ingredient and using Grapeseed oil, in place of avocado oil, I have been able to make a face wash for my teenagers acne prone skin.
Grapeseed oil does not cause clogged pores in acne and has anti inflammatory properties that typically clear up acne outbreaks and prevents new ones.
For Normal, Sensitive, or Mature Skin:
These oils will leave you with a soft and healthy glow as it is nourishing your skin!
The Reason behind using oil
The oil cleansing concept has become very popular. It is extremely moisturizing for all skin types. The basic concept is oil dissolves oil, leaving clean, moisturized skin.
This facial cleanser recipe uses oil, but also honey and castile soap for a more luxurious feel! I use avocado or sweet almond oil for this recipe but, other oils such as jojoba, extra virgin olive , sweet almond or argan oil can also be used.
- Avocado oil is high in vitamins A,B,C, E and K, anti-oxidants, proteins, and unsaturated fats; all of which are good for your skin.
- Serolins (plant fat) found in Avocado Oil are extremely moisturizing, and known to reduce signs of aging, extreme dry skin, sun damage, eczema, and acne.
- Avocado Oil boosts skins ability to generate more and stronger cells. It is easily absorbed through the epidermis-the outermost layer of the skin-into the dermis to provide the growth and health of new skin cells.
Liquid Castile Soap
- Dr. Bonner’s Liquid Castile Soap is made with organic oils. It contains no harsh chemicals, additives, colorants, foaming agents, detergents or synthetic preservatives!
- Any organic castile soap brand will work, so use what you already have at home. Dr. Bonner’s is just my personal favorite after trying a few different brands. Castile soap adds light suds, which I enjoy in a face wash.
- If you prefer something with a smell try one of the many varieties of castile soaps! It can also be used in household cleaners but keep in mind, a little goes a long way!
- Raw honey is simply honey that has not been pasteurized (heated). Therefore, its nutrients are intact, as they are not destroyed by processing. Raw honey is naturally rich in antioxidants and amino acids.
- Since ancient times, honey has been known to possess antibacterial properties, as well as wound healing activity (remember Cleopatra’s honey and milk bath…she was actually on to something).
- Raw honey has incredible anti-inflammatory, probiotic, and antibacterial properties that help decrease the appearance of scars and increase healing and tissue regeneration.
How to use Homemade Face Wash
- Cleanse face morning and night. Never go to bed with your make-up on. The key to good skin begins with a good cleanser.
- Wet your face and fingertips with warm water and lightly massage the homemade face wash around your face.
- Gently wipe off the face wash with a wet wash cloth.
- Splash face with cold water to close your pores.
- Follow up with a hydrating toner to tighten the skin and balance pH.
- 2-3 times a week use a gentle facial scrub to exfoliate the skin and renew the skin cells.
Homemade Face Wash Instructions
Face Wash Ingredients
- 1/3 cup Castile soap
- 1/4 cup Raw Honey
- 6 TBSP Avocado oil (like this one)(or sweet almond, argan, jojoba, grapeseed or virgin olive oil) Use whichever you prefer.
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil, lemon essential oil or tea tree essential oil ( optional, but can be used for a light scent and tea tree can be added to combat acne)
Instructions – this part is easy!
- In a soap dispenser, add all the ingredients and shake well.
- Shake the soap dispenser every few days. Since there are no chemical binders in this recipe, there may be some separation between uses.
**You will be able to make multiple batches of face wash after buying the ingredients, so this face wash is cost effective also!
Natural Facial Cleanser Products to Try
Even though making homemade face wash is easy, it is not for everyone.
If you want to stick with facial cleansers that are natural with no harsh ingredients, chemicals or all the other un-pronounceable ingredients to put on your skin, check out some of these great finds.
Remember a little goes a long way when you are using natural products.
Tohi Deep Radiance Facial Cleanser (Perfect for all skin types with a light citrus scent from pure essential oils)
Or these found on Amazon:
Christina Moss Naturals-Organic Facial Wash (No chemicals, preservatives, dyes or synthetic fragrance)
Foxbrim Coconut Milk and Honey Facial Cleanser (with Vitamin E, Jojoba Oil, and Rosemary)
Himalaya Botanique Neem & Turmeric Natural Face Wash (Organic, soap free, for oily or acne prone skin)
Disclaimer/Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Read more about my disclaimer and disclosure here.
What did you think of this face wash after using it? Do you like the way it easily glides across your skin with a luxurious feel?